Friday, February 10, 2017

JOSHUA


Are you an angel?

Me? Yes, I guess you could say that.

You’re not sure if you’re an angel?

Oh yeah, I’m sure all right. Just not sure if I’m a full angel or not.

Angels have choices about being full or less than full angels?

Well, not really. It’s a bit complicated. I’m almost an angel but I have one more assignment I have to complete before David decides I’m good to go as a full angel.

But you’re sitting up there where other angels who’ve come to visit always sit. So I just assumed you were the real deal when it comes to angels.

This is a good place for us angels to sit. Up high here, in the corner away from the window. Most people don’t ever think about looking up at the ceiling in a room like this. After all, they’re focused on you and what you need.

Wait, let’s back up a bit. So you’re not a full angel yet? David hasn’t given you the final stamp of approval? You dress just like the other angels that have dropped by. Casual clothes right out of the J Crew catalogue. You all have excellent manners and social skills. You can make yourself appear and disappear easily just like the other ones. By the way, it must be very cool to do that. Become invisible whenever you want to, I mean.

Going invisible avoids some potentially very embarrassing situations with others who are not special like you. Being here and all, you get what us angels are all really about.

You know, before I came here, I always thought angels had wings. You know, like the Archangels Gabriel and Michael. But so far, none of the angels I’ve met have wings. Just arms like the rest of us. So what’s with the wings?

David phased them out. He can do that. One day he just decides no more wings and all of us lose them. If I recall my history class, every angel lost their wings in about 17-PG.

PG?

Oh, sorry. Post-Gabriel. Now it’s David’s time to lead us. He’s all about being modern. He’s always reminding us that we must appeal to the everyday modern man in a form he or she can understand. Having a set of lovely wings folded up on my back just wouldn’t cut it. Can you imagine the fuss in social media if someone took a picture of me with those wing tops sticking out my collar?

Do you mind if I ask your name?

Yeah, no problem considering why I’m here today. In your world, my name is Joshua.

Joshua. A good name. It suits you. Sort of biblical but also has a lovely ring to it. Joshua. Nice. It rolls off my tongue easily.

Yeah, the more time I spend in your world, the more I like my name too. In my other world, I’m just a number. Well not a number exactly like you understand numbers. Just a series of identifying marks and sounds.

Joshua! Wait! You’ve started to shimmer. Like you’re sitting up in that corner then you’re not. What’s going on? It’s not time yet, is it?

Yes, my friend, I’m afraid it is.

But you’re an angel. You can change time and space in whatever ways you want. Right? You could do that for me, right?

Sorry. Only when I’m a full angel. Here today, think of me as an apprentice angel. Learning the ropes of being a bit celestial and magically wonderful all at the same time. David asked me to bring you our final gift. You’re my chosen one. A special person. I have this gift for you. Once you have accepted my gift, David will declare me a full angel. And then you and I will talk again. But in a different time and different space. But first …

Wait. I can feel your hand in mine. Don’t leave me, Joshua. Take me with you.

You are with me.

A warm glow glimmers then fades slowly.

Darkness.

A faint whisper of wings, like a dove racing overhead.

Then it too is gone.

First Publication: ‘Joshua’ appeared in Basil O’Flaherty, a US e-zine on November 11, 2016. The above version has been slightly edited from the original published version.

The Backstory: This story started with a dream. I was recovering from cardiac surgery and not sleeping well week after week. This was a powerful dream and when I awoke, I knew that I needed to write the story of an angel appearing to a man who, in spite of his dire medical circumstances, can see and talk to the angel. When the man asks the angel his name, the angel replies "Joshua".

Legal Rights. ‘Joshua’ is the intellectual property of the author, Don Herald. No part of this story may be reproduced in any format without the written permission of the author.



No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY...

I've been writing short and flash fiction since 2010. In 2023, I also began writing free-verse poetry. To this date, I've had forty ...