Tuesday, November 20, 2018

SHARP EDGES


You ever held something with sharp edges? You know, edges and angles so rough that if you rub them too hard, it hurts, might even cut you.
When you hold it, you know you really have to be careful. But you just can’t help yourself. It’s really all about those jagged edges. You just have to touch them. Once. Twice. Many times. Admittedly, it’s the sharpness you enjoy. As if you’re almost daring them to cut you. Maybe even make you bleed.

Well, it’s exactly the same kind of thing with me and this purple stone I’m holding in my hand. It has several sides. Many years ago they were jagged edges, freshly broken off a purple crystal somewhere along a Lake Huron beach. Over the years, the waves and sand have worked on it. Continually polishing those hard, sharp parts. Now, it’s smooth as glass.

The purple stone always reminds me that while it doesn’t seem like it at the time, the sharp parts of my life will smooth out. Everything will become beautiful again.

So what am I saying to you? Yes, there will always be tough times in your life. Lots of stuff in your life will have sharp edges, edges that if you keep touching them, keep bumping into them inside your thoughts or imagination – well, you’ll hurt yourself.

But I know that try as you might, you just can’t stop working the edges, rubbing them with your body, with your thoughts. Even in your dreams, you work them over.

We’re always cutting ourselves on the sharp edges of the tough stuff in our lives.

A long time ago, someone gave me this stone. Back then it was just a token between two people who were no longer lovers.

“It’s so beautiful,” she whispered. “But it wasn’t always this way. You must see it as a promise stone. It’s me promising to remember you. Forever, for always. It’s me promising you that our sharp edges with each other - well, they too shall pass.”

Today, I keep that stone right here in the watch pocket of my jeans. Sometimes when life is tough, I take it out. Just to feel the smooth round edges up against my fingers.

You know what? It still whispers to me – ‘This too shall pass. I promise you.’



First Published: This story was published on August 22nd, 2018 in the American flash fiction online magazine The Ugly Writers.

The Backstory: The purple stone in the photo is the stone I mention in the story. As I recall, the original idea came from a two-word story prompt - sharp edges. My purple stone does not have any sharp edges but years ago it did. And that got me thinking that it was similar to when something hurtful happens to us and it seems like we'll never feel any better. But then, with time, we do. Like the stone in this story.


Legal Rights. ‘Sharp Edges' is the intellectual property of the author, Don Herald. No part of this story may be reproduced in any format without the written permission of the author.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY...

I've been writing short and flash fiction since 2010. In 2023, I also began writing free-verse poetry. To this date, I've had forty ...